Finland Visa Application Requirements – Schengen Visa. Finland is one of the most beautiful Nordic countries in the Schengen region that is visited by millions of tourist every year. If you are planning a visit to this beautiful country, you need to know the basic Finland visa requirements you must fulfill in order to get a visa.
Depending on the purpose of your travel to Finland, there are different types of visa that are suitable for different occasions. Whether you are planning to go on a visit, study or work and reside in Finland permanently, you will have to apply for a different Finnish Schengen Visa, accordingly.
- 1 Finland Visa Application Requirements – Schengen Visa
- 2 Required Documents for a Finnish Visa Application
- 3 Additional Documents Required for the most Frequent Purposes of Finland Visa Application:
- 3.1 Finland Tourist Schengen Visa
- 3.2 Finland Visa for Business Purposes
- 3.3 Finland Visa for Medical Purposes
- 3.4 Finland Visa for Cultural, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes
- 3.5 Finland Visa for Members of Official Delegations
- 3.6 Finland Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other type of Internship Purposes
- 3.7 Finland Visa For The Wife/Husband of a Finnish citizen
- 3.8 Finland Airport Transit Visa
- 3.9 Finland Visa for Under-Age Children
- 3.10 Finland Schengen Visa Fees
Finland Visa Application Requirements – Schengen Visa
As at 2017, Finland has issued a total of 814,047 uniform Schengen visas from 827,520 applications received at the Finnish consulates and embassies worldwide. Finland visa application has a rejection rate of 1.13 percent. Finland Visa Application Requirements – Schengen Visa.
Required Documents for a Finnish Visa Application
- Download the application form, fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Finland Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- Attach 2 photos; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – with valid of at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- A copy of your return-ticket reservation. It is not recommended to purchase the ticket before obtaining the visa – if not otherwise required
- Travel medical visa insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000 € coverage within Finland and the entire Schengen area
- A cover letter stating the purpose of visit to Finland and itinerary. (Click to find cover letter samples)
- Proof of Accommodation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Finland.
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Evidence of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Finland.
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Leave approval letter from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
- Proof of enrollment
- No-objection certificate from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Apart from the general documentation required, accompanying should be other additional documents depending on the purpose of your Finnish Visa application.
Additional Documents Required for the most Frequent Purposes of Finland Visa Application:
Finland Tourist Schengen Visa
This is the most popular Finnish visa, and it is meant for those travellers looking to visit Finland for less than 90 days. According to Finland visa requirements, the following documents are required to be submitted especially for a tourist visa application to the embassy:
Finland Visa for Business Purposes
A business visa is given to those who are planning to visit Finland for engaging in temporary work or business. However, this visa definitely does not grant the applicant to take up new employment in Finland. The documents required for applying for a business visa are:
- Invitation letter from the Finnish company you will be visiting and their detailed address accompanied with the dates of your visit
- A certificate from your employer stating/allowing your business travel
- If there were previous trade relations between the two companies, proof of such events must be provided
- Business bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Memorandum and Article of Association in original certified copy (registered with joint stock companies) Trade License (first issued and present renewal), Proprietorship/Partnership documents
- Regarding the applicant’s expenses during stay in the Schengen zone, either the employer or the partner company must state coverage of expenses on the letter or invitation.
Finland Visa for Medical Purposes
A lot of people travel to Finland and certain other countries to seek better medical treatment or specialized treatment for a disease that cannot be treated in their own country. For this purpose, the Finland visa requirements are the following:
- A local medical report
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in Finland, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation
- Payment receipt of medical fees
Finland Visa for Cultural, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes
This is a special visa given to applicants who want to travel to Finland to participate in cultural or sporting events. In addition to that, film crew can also apply for a visa to get permission to shoot a film in Finland. Documents required to be submitted to fulfill Finland visa requirements for this category are:
Finland Visa for Members of Official Delegations
If your travel is related to attending intergovernmental meetings, consultations, negotiations or events, you will need to apply for a special official visit visa. The following documents will have to be shown to the embassy in order to be eligible for this visa:
- The official invitation copy
- Identity of applicant
- Purpose of journey (negotiations, meetings, event by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
- Duration of stay
- Place of accommodation
Finland Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other type of Internship Purposes
Only applicants who are intending to study in a Finnish institution, conduct research or even undergo some kind of educational training and internship for less than 6 months, are eligible for a student visa. The documents required to be eligible for this visa are the following: Finland Visa Application Requirements – Schengen Visa
- An enrollment certificate allowing attendance of courses
- Certificate of completion or courses attended
- Financial sustenance
Finland Visa For The Wife/Husband of a Finnish citizen
This visa is for people whose spouses are from Finland. The documents required to be eligible for this visa are the following:
- Proof of Finnish citizenship (ID card or consular card or certification of Finnish nationality or naturalization order)
- Finnish marriage certificate
- Finnish family record book
Finland Airport Transit Visa
- Visa or other type of entry permit in the transit country
- Copy of your valid visa for your final destination
Finland Visa for Under-Age Children
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
- If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
*Note: When applying at the Finnish embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
Finland Schengen Visa Fees
If you are applying with VFS, then there is a processing fee of €20 that you will need to pay with VFS.
- Schengen Short Stay Visa (tourist visa, business visa and transit visa) €60
- Children aged =6<12 applying for short stay visa €35
- Student Visa €50
- Long Stay Visa (work visa and permanent residence) €99
Attention! Please consult the Embassy of Finland in your country for the updated Finland Visa requirements!